An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


FTA Miscellaneous Expense

An allowance to help defray an employee’s extraordinary but necessary and reasonable costs when he/she transfers to a post in a foreign area.  The Miscellaneous Expense Portion is to help cover “miscellaneous” expenses incident to a foreign assignment such as pet transportation; vehicle registration; driver’s license; utility fees or deposits not offset by an eventual refund; and conversion of appliances.
 (1) The flat amount for an employee without family is the lesser of either one-week’s salary or $650.

 (2) For an employee with family it is the lesser of two weeks’ salary or $1,300.

 (3) A higher rate is available by providing itemized receipts up to 1 week’s salary (without family) or 2 weeks’ salary (with family) not to exceed the salary of a GS-13, step 10.
 (4) For a new Government employee the claim is submitted on SF-1190 to HROM, with an attached copy of travel orders and receipts (if itemizing). Claims for current government employees must be submitted via the Travel-Voucher 1351-2 and submitted (along with receipts, if itemizing) to DFAS, as per instruction on travel orders, block 27.
• Submit the below completed documents to:  SMB HQMC HROM OVERSEAS

  • SF-1190
  • FTA (DSSR 240) 

HROM Overseas Specialist