An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


Verification of Employment


Employment Verification is now available through My Biz for employees!

Employment Verification is a Self Service My Biz tool, allowing employees to email employment and/or salary information to an external organizations (business, bank, credit union) directly from the Defense Civilian Personnel Data System (DCPDS) – via secure internet!

To email Employment Verification information to an external organization:

  1. Log into the DCPDS Portal by going to: (first time users will need to register)
  2. Select, My Biz, Request Employment Verification
  3. Select your Details to Share, either
    • Employment Information, or
    • Employment and Salary Information
  4. Enter Recipient Email Information
  5. Enter (verify) your work email address is included in Recipient Information ‘CC’ field to receive a copy of Employment Verification email
  6. Select Continue to ‘Acknowledge and Submit’ to send your Employment Verification information


All requests for records and information must be submitted in writing by the former employee to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). Each request must be hand signed (in cursive), dated (within the last year), identify the documents or information needed, and explain the purpose of your request. If specific documentation/forms need to be completed and provided to another party, the former employee must specify in the written request authorizing NPRC to release the specified information.

Certain basic information needed to locate civilian personnel records and to answer the request, includes:

  • Full name used during Federal employment
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security Number (if applicable)
  • Name and location of employing Federal agency
  • Beginning and ending dates of Federal service
  • Complete return mailing address and/or authorized return fax number

Written requests may be mailed or faxed to: National Personnel Records Center, Annex 1411 Boulder Boulevard Valmeyer, IL 62295 Fax: 618-935-3014 Please note: NPRC cannot email documents due to privacy concerns. NPRC will mail or fax copies of available records as authorized by the requester.

Please allow 7-10 business days for NPRC to respond to written request. All inquiries regarding request should be directed to NPRC at 618-935-3002.


Due to the resurgence of COVID-19 infection in the local communities, the NPRC is operating at a reduced capacity. As of August 2, 2021, the NPRC has reduced its on-site staffing to 10 percent of the workforce. While we remain in this state, we will continue to service emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans trying to gain admittance to a homeless shelter. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until we return to pre-COVID staffing levels.

More information on NPRC's operating status

Alternative sources for modern military records

More information on NPRC's operating status. Alternative sources for modern military records. More information about the National Archives' response to coronavirus can be found at National Archives.